HOUGHTON'S BUILDINGS OF NOTE

Have you ever wondered about the particular history of a building in Houghton-le-Spring? Perhaps a place you pass often when out and about?

This section of the Houghton Heritage Society website looks at all the magnificent buildings scattered around our town.

Thanks are extended to all those owners and custodians who kindly granted us access into these special places.

If you live or own one of the buildings featured (or that should be featured) and would be happy for the Society to visit and take photographs, please do get in touch.

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: The Kepier Hall

THE KEPIER HALL

The Royal Kepier Grammar School, or Kepier Hall as it is now known, is located within the grounds of the churchyard, just behind St Michael & All Angels Church. The school, which dates from c1574, closed in 1922.
[KEPIER GRAMMAR SCHOOL]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: Houghton Hall, Hall Lane, Houghton-le-Spring

HOUGHTON HALL

Houghton Hall was built around 1575 and was home to the Huttons before being owned by Sir George Elliot. Read about its history as a social club and YMCA plus its secret underground tunnels!
[HOUGHTON HALL]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: Robinson Brothers Brewery

ROBINSON'S BREWERY

The former malting house of the City Brewery is located in the centre of Houghton, on Durham Road, perched next to a large roundabout above the A690, and was owned by the influential Robinson family.
[ROBINSON BROS BREWERY]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: St Michael & All Angels Church

PARISH CHURCH

St Michael & All Angels Church in Houghton-le-Spring is a Grade I Listed Building. The present building is mostly 13th/14th century but it is thought that the site was used for worship up to 1,000 years ago!
[PARISH CHURCH]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: St Michael's Roman Catholic Church, Durham Road

CATHOLIC CHURCH

St Michael's Roman Catholic Church on Durham Road opened in 1837 having been designed by Ignatius Bonomi, an architect who worked on Lambton Castle and many other well known northeast landmarks.
[CATHOLIC CHURCH]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: Methodist Churches on Mautland Street, Nesham Place and William Street

METHODIST CHURCH

There have been three different Methodist Churches in Houghton-le-Spring – a Primitive, a United and a Wesleyan. These occupied a variety of sites, before being either demolished or amalgamated.
[METHODIST CHURCH]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: Stoneygate Pumping Station, Northumbrian Water

STONEYGATE PUMPING STATION

Stoney Gate Pumping Station is located north of the town, alongside the A690 Durham Road. Originally powered by steam, the Station was eventually electrified and is still in use today (Grade II Listed).
[STONEYGATE PUMP STATION]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: House-by-House Guides to Houghton's Main Streets

THE STREETS OF HOUGHTON

House-by-House and Shop-by-Shop directories for all of Houghton's main streets, including: Newbottle Street; Sunderland Street; Church Street; Mautland Street; Nesham Place; Durham Road; and others.
[STREET DIRECTORIES] | [STREET NAMES]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: The Lilburne & Davenport Almshouses

THE ALMSHOUSES

The Davenport and Lilburne Almshouses are located behind the Parish Church. Surtees described them as: “...low and uniform, consisting of a centre and two wings, and containing six comfortable chambers.”
[THE ALMSHOUSES]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: Aged Miners' Homes, Dairy Lane

AGED MINERS' HOMES, DAIRY LANE

The Aged Miners’ Homes, built 1926 (the year of the General Strike), are located on Dairy Lane and back onto Greenwood Avenue. There are two rows of terraced bungalows, which are numbered 1 to 12.
[AGED MINERS' HOMES]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: The Union Workhouse, William Street, Houghton-le-Spring

UNION WORKHOUSE

Houghton's Workhouse was located on William Street, just off Sunderland Street. Prior to its demolition, it was known as Heath House. The Heath Grange development was built on the site of the old Workhouse.
[UNION WORKHOUSE] | [INMATE RECORDS]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: The Cottage Homes, Houghton-le-Spring

THE COTTAGE HOMES

Houghton's Cottage Homes were located within the grounds of the Workhouse. The house was divided into two, for boys and girls, and was home to orphaned children or this taken into the care of the State.
[COTTAGE HOMES]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: Eschol Pentecostal Church, Burn Promenade, Houghton-le-Spring

ESCHOL CHURCH

The Eschol Pentecostal Church, on Burn Promende, was built without debt in 1949 out of old air raid shelter bricks. It has a dwindling congregation but was once the hub of a vibrant and action community.
[ESHCOL CHURCH]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: HUDC Garages for Hire

GARAGES FOR HIRE

Each and every garage in the stock of Houghton Urban District Council was identidied by a small metal plaque featuring the words HUDC RATINGS DEPT and followed by a three or four digit number to identify it.
[HUDC GARAGES]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: Houghton Greyhound Stadium & Race Track

HOUGHTON GREYHOUND STADIUM

The Houghton Greyhound Stadium Club was managed by the Hetton Race Company Ltd. The first Annual General Meeting of the Club was held on 22 November 1939. Horse racing was held there before the War.
[HOUGHTON RACECOURSE & STADIUM]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: The Homelands Estate, Sunniside, Houghton-le-Spring

HOMELANDS ESTATE, SUNNISIDE

The Earl of Durham Monument, known locally as Penshaw Monument on Penshaw Hill, was inspired by the Theseion, Temple of Hephaestus. It was built in 1844 out of gritstone. Find our more below.
[HOMELANDS ESTATE]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: Penshaw Monument

PENSHER MONUMENT

The Earl of Durham Monument, known locally as Penshaw Monument on Penshaw Hill, was inspired by the Theseion, Temple of Hephaestus. It was built in 1844 out of gritstone. Find our more below.
[PENSHAW MONUMENT]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: Houghton's Libraries: Church Street in 1850s, Mautland Square in the 60s and now Newbottle Street

HOUGHTON'S LIBRARIES

The Earl of Durham Monument, known locally as Penshaw Monument on Penshaw Hill, was inspired by the Theseion, Temple of Hephaestus. It was built in 1844 out of gritstone. Find our more below.
[LIBRARIES]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: Dene House Farm

DENE HOUSE FARM

The Earl of Durham Monument, known locally as Penshaw Monument on Penshaw Hill, was inspired by the Theseion, Temple of Hephaestus. It was built in 1844 out of gritstone. Find our more below.
[DENE HOUSE FARM]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: Over the Hill Farm

OVER-THE-HILL FARM

The Earl of Durham Monument, known locally as Penshaw Monument on Penshaw Hill, was inspired by the Theseion, Temple of Hephaestus. It was built in 1844 out of gritstone. Find our more below.
[OVER-THE-HILL FARM]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: The Drill Hall, Stanley Street

THE DRILL HALL

The Earl of Durham Monument, known locally as Penshaw Monument on Penshaw Hill, was inspired by the Theseion, Temple of Hephaestus. It was built in 1844 out of gritstone. Find our more below.
[THE DRILL HALL]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: Halliwell House, Station Road

HALLIWELL HOUSE

The Earl of Durham Monument, known locally as Penshaw Monument on Penshaw Hill, was inspired by the Theseion, Temple of Hephaestus. It was built in 1844 out of gritstone. Find our more below.
[WALLIWELL HOUSE]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: Houghton Blind Centre

HOUGHTON BLIND CENTRE

The Earl of Durham Monument, known locally as Penshaw Monument on Penshaw Hill, was inspired by the Theseion, Temple of Hephaestus. It was built in 1844 out of gritstone. Find our more below.
[HOUGHTON BLIND CENTRE]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: Jubilee Cottages, Burn Park Road

JUBILEE COTTAGES

The Earl of Durham Monument, known locally as Penshaw Monument on Penshaw Hill, was inspired by the Theseion, Temple of Hephaestus. It was built in 1844 out of gritstone. Find our more below.
[JUBILEE COTTAGES]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: Miners' Welfare Hall, Station Road

MINERS' WELFARE HALL

The Earl of Durham Monument, known locally as Penshaw Monument on Penshaw Hill, was inspired by the Theseion, Temple of Hephaestus. It was built in 1844 out of gritstone. Find our more below.
[WELFARE HALL]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: Houghton Police Station & Magistrates' Court

POLICE STATION & COURT

The Earl of Durham Monument, known locally as Penshaw Monument on Penshaw Hill, was inspired by the Theseion, Temple of Hephaestus. It was built in 1844 out of gritstone. Find our more below.
[LIBRARIES]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: Houghton's Libraries: Welfare Clinic, Sunrise Lane, Gashouse Lane

WELFARE CLINIC

The Earl of Durham Monument, known locally as Penshaw Monument on Penshaw Hill, was inspired by the Theseion, Temple of Hephaestus. It was built in 1844 out of gritstone. Find our more below.
[WELFARE CLINIC]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: Houghton Colliery's electrical sub-station

COLLIERY SUB-STATION

This electrical sub-station can be found on Houghton Road, next to the entrance of Houghton Quarry. It is a remnant of Houghton Colliey and is now one of only a couple of remaining colliery buildings.
[COLLIERY SUB-STATION]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: Houghton's Post Office, built 1959

HOUGHTON POST OFFICE

The Earl of Durham Monument, known locally as Penshaw Monument on Penshaw Hill, was inspired by the Theseion, Temple of Hephaestus. It was built in 1844 out of gritstone. Find our more below.
[HOUGHTON'S POST OFFICE]

Buildings of note in Houghton-le-Spring: Lambton Colliery's Pithead Baths & Canteen, Lambton Lane, Fencehouses

LAMBTON COLLIERY BATHS

The Lambton Pithead Baths and Canteen on Lambton Lane opened in March 1940 at a cost of £24,000. These are not to be confused with the Lambton (swimming) Baths a few yards down the road.
[PITHEAD BATHS & CANTEEN]

Join Fyass Byuk - Houghton Heritage Society's popular Facebook group

FACEBOOK GROUP

You can join Houghton Heritage Society by becoming a member on Facebook - or Fyass Byuk as we call it. We have almost 3,300 members and the group is very popular with residents, descendants and ex-pats.
[FACEBOOK]

Videos and cine footage of Houghton-le-Spring

VIDEOS OF HOUGHTON

Houghton Heritage Society's YouTube Channel features exclusive videos of Houghton-le-Spring as well as footage from our heritage events throughout the year - and of course the ancient festival of Houghton Feast!
[YOUTUBE VIDEOS]

Old photographs of Houghton-le-Spring shared via Flickr

OLD PHOTOGRAPHS

Houghton Heritage Society has over 5,000 images in its collections. Many can be found on our Flickr page while our Facebook group has thousands of exclusive photographs as uploaded by our many members.
[FLICKR] | [ARCHIVE CATALOGUE]