Houghton-le-Spring Cemetery opened on March 1st 1892 on a parcel of land at Durham Road. The cemetery, lodge and railings cost £4,000. Prior to this date, burials were in the Church’s detached burial ground, known as Houghton Hillside Cemetery.
When the new cemetery opened on Durham Road, the Local Board of Health attempted to close Hillside, however the Rector, Rev John Grey, objected as the new cemetery had not been consecrated. The Local Board continued to refuse to consecrate the new cemetery and the Church was left with no other option than to extend Hillside Cemetery.
The issue was eventually resolved when Houghton Cemetery was consecrated in 1907. Burials continue to this day.